Monday, May 13, 2013

I Used To Be The Best Mom

I used to be the best mom. I used to do everything right. It was so effortless -- I followed my instinct or, when that failed, I followed the advice of an expert which would work perfectly because they were the experts and I was nothing but a mom in the trenches.

I look back on those days of my perfection fondly...

When everything was sterile, controlled, mess-free.


The days when my children napped in their beds according to the schedule I put them on. They nursed every two hours, exactly 20 minutes per side.


At night, they would stir to nurse at the same regularity  I would lift them gently out of their beautiful bassinet, nurse, then gently place them back in -- never falling asleep with them in bed because that could be dangerous. My children never co-slept with us -- for the dangers as well as the boundary issues.  


I used only cloth diapers. My babies never drank cows milk. I made my own baby food.


They certainly never had candy, junk food, juice boxes, or happy meals. It was all organic whole foods for us.


None of my children spent time in front of the TV or other electronics. We spent our time doing educational activities and crafts. My children embraced puzzles, games, crafts, writing. Their toys, always gender neutral, never included weapons.


I never yelled at my children because they respected my authority and listened when first requested. Failing that, I had a system of positive and negative reinforcement. I never needed to resort to punishment. I remember those days fondly. I remember when I was the best mom. Then, of course, I had children.


And now I am just a mom doing my best like all the rest. Hope you had a wonderful mother's day.

1 comment:

  1. You are a clever writer! Being a parent changes your perspective on a lot of things, for sure.

    ReplyDelete